- Use parental controls on laptops/PCs, tablets and mobile phones.
- Set Google Safe Search – this will filter out explicit material. Both this and parental controls are especially useful for younger children.
- Discourage your teenager from withdrawing to spend hours alone in their bedroom online.
- Remember that a blanket ban is not always useful.
- Talk about whether there are better ways of getting information about sex, and whether the portrayal of sex in porn can be misleading. (See our tips on how to open a conversation here.)
- Ensure they understand the risks of sharing sexual images (eg sexting) or exposing themselves to images that may be upsetting or illegal.
- If your child is already looking at porn compulsively talk to your GP for advice about what is available locally.